Food For Thought

Facing reality.......

A coup d’état is usually brought about by people who are convinced that they cannot acquire power through democratic means and / or those whose vital interests are mightily threatened without power .

Saturday, July 26, 2008

MUSING ON INDEPENDENCE

Today is our 43rd Independence Day. I am sitting at home, enjoying a rare day with my family. Just now, the children are playing with their cousins as my little nephew is celebrating his birthday today. As I watch the children play in complete innocence as only children can, I sense a certain melancholy descend on me. I keep asking myself, when will their innocence give way to pragmatics? What is in store for them tomorrow? As they engage in their play, carefree and happy, they are oblivious to events which surround them; events which will determine their future, their lives, their future happiness (or desolation?).

Just this afternoon, my son was watching the address by the President on the occasion of Independence, with me. My son asked me, “Dad, why is the Independence Day so special?” I tried best as I could to explain to him that Independence for a nation was very important because that was the way to ensure our freedom and our security. In my attempt to emphasize the importance of Independence, I exemplified by saying that if another nation was ruling us, they could hurt us if we didn’t obey their every order…and then I realized I had made a mistake. For he then asked me a very innocent question, or was it a statement? He said, “Oh! So Zimbabwe is not independent then? I saw the other night on the news people in uniforms beating up people in Zimbabwe.” I was stumped. I did not have the heart to contradict him. I did not have the words to explain to him that one could be enslaved by one’s own fellow country men, too. Had I started to, his next question could very well have been, “Dad, why is it then that I saw that pregnant lady and many others being beaten by the police, the other day, on our doorstep? (He witnessed the events which took place in front of our house on 13th August 2005). Why is the President saying we are Independent when we really are not?”

Only a child could have the innocence to see things in black or white with no shades of grey in between. I just thought, let him enjoy his innocence at least one more day. Tomorrow someone may come and steal a portion of it from him.

After this exchange with my son, I couldn’t help but muse to myself on the ludicrousness of it all. Here we are, engaged in academic debate on the finer points of independence, freedom and liberty and it took a nine year old just a few seconds to say it all. For, the essence of what my son said is simply this: Does it really matter who rules us if we do not have the freedom to enjoy our liberties? Can we take any special pride in being ruled by people of our nationality when they commit atrocities against us that even imperialists would not commit?

Perhaps Independence is a relative notion. Maybe, it is a notion that is even on the way to becoming obsolete. When is the Independence day of Britain? Or China? Or Germany? Or the Netherlands?

Nations which gained “independence” from colonial rule still celebrate independence to remind themselves of what it was like to be under colonial rule. But as my son pointed out, I wonder whether the average Zimbabwean today would prefer colonial rule under Britain or Independence under Mugabe?

But of course neither of the above is a real choice for Zimbabweans. The real solution would be a Zimbabwe free from British colonial rule and also free from authoritarian Mugabe rule. It is not only Zimbabwe which we see in this situation. I wonder what the average Sudanese thinks about Independence these days?

We seek, and take pride in Independence because it allows us to affirm ourselves as a nation which is free to do what it wants; that we have the opportunity to propagate our culture and values. However, the very essence of this Independence is rendered meaningless if in our Independent nation the citizens are subjugated and deprived of civil liberties. If they are not given the opportunity of being considered equals in responsibility, contribution and benefits of nationhood.

Sometimes Independence has a down side, too. It may not be all rosy to be an independent nation. Along with Independence comes also the concept of sovereignty. Sovereignty can also be used by oppressors within the nation to protect themselves from the criticisms from other nations in situations where rule of law is forgotten and the will of a few people are imposed on the majority.

Common phenomena in these kinds of situations are calls for Nationalism by the oppressors and denouncing foreign intervention in the name of sovereignty. Of course, in this situations, to be nationalistic is to be non critical of the dominant view, sacrificing individual freedoms and liberties in the national interest, to foster “national harmony” at any cost, and in short, to bow to the will of the oppressors.

When one starts hearing repeated calls for nationalistic action by the oppressors, and every other person being labeled as a traitor and charged with treason, then one can take a certain kind of comfort in knowing that the oppressors are now resorting to their last tactic : create mass hysteria in that if change occurs, the colonialists and the imperialists will steal our nation from us. Little do they know, that by that stage the masses are convinced that anything else will be better than what they have.

In a rapidly shrinking globe, where commerce and technology have become the invisible infiltrators across national boundaries, one muses whether the post second world war era notions of nationalism and Independence hold any water now. I am inclined to believe that nationalism and Independence can only be sustained with slightly different interpretations of these terms. The new nationalism and independence must be the empowerment of people to become global citizens and yet have the ability to preserve their culture and values. Every nation is on the way to becoming a multicultural society. The most important definition of Independence in the new world may very well be to do with the independence of men and women, free to aspire to their own ways of defining a “good” life.

13 comments:

  1. Ibra, it would be much better to be a part of the United Kingdom than to be ruled by any potential leaders that we have in front of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great to have you on the blogspot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Careful with this blogging iBra. Especially if you are trying to engage in conversation with the outside world via the comment system.

    Not the least bit productive and you loose a lot of valuable time trying to figure out your version of how to respond to every critical comment that comes your way. Very addictive you know.

    Give this up and go bash the Golhaabo. If you are sincere in-fact, your time would be better spent trying to find better democracy to this country that way. And it would be better for the everyday man like me too.

    I'm an intellectual in many ways. But a chicken shit coward too kekkee :)

    Happy belated Independence Day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ibra, will be great if you can tell us more about SLP and you through this blogging...what is different about SLP relative to all the other parties? What are your policies and what are you going to do to make sure that people's rights are indeed going to be respected and that with you as a president, we will truly be independent?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since you mentioned about the ‘shades of grey’, and why a child is naive to see beyond black and white, it is important to know that we can differentiate between black and white and even identify the 256 shades of grey. So why is it that knowing all of it, we are still oblivious of it?
    It is common sense, and quite obviously ‘freedom’ and independence is a relative and subjective matter. It is quite evident that we live in a society with social values, morality and principles. The society has determined norms. Some of these are not acceptable for minorities. They want their freedom in certain aspects, which is not socially or religiously acceptable by the majority. So the ‘Democracy’ is meant to protect the minority’s rights?
    In a clearer picture, Independence and nationalism, is dying today. There is only the objective. Today’s objective is to get rid of the tyrant dictator Maumoon. So what is the opportunity cost for that? It doesn’t matter. We don’t want to look past beyond that moment. In a way, we can celebrate another independence from Maumoon, hopefully this year, AND we can start looking for a reason to fight for the next independence fight!
    That is right, this is a never ending story. We are only human...

    ReplyDelete
  6. hats off to ur kid. now if only gayyoom could comprehend what ur son said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ibra. I would like to know if you have any shares in One and Half Degree Maldives or any of the companies that is owned partly by Nadheem, the son-in-law of Gayoomn. Do you also have any business partnership with Colonel Nasheed, who is a member of your party SLP?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous :
    I am glad you asked that question because there are so many rumours being spread about various "connections" that I have with individuals in the regime. I will give you the facts here:

    1. I do not have ANY shares in ANY business. I just am not a businessman. I tried running a business (Mandhu Learning Centre) once, but after 5 years of declaring an operating loss, I sold the place in 2003 and remained as professional consultant until recently.

    2. One and Half Degrees is owned jointly by my brother Fayaz and some other partners ( I do not even know who are the others who have shares in the company). In our family we have a very strict principle. We all love each other very much, but none of us interferes in others lives, businesses or work. However, we are all there for each other if any of us need any support from others. We do not discuss business over the dinner table. When we are home, we enjoy the company of our brothers, sisters and in-laws.

    3. Mohamed Nadheem is another story. Mohamed Nadheem's father used to live in my Grandmother's house, and he was there even after he got married to Nadheem's mother. Nadheem's parents were extremely close friends with my mother. Nadheem grew up with us. His mother used to send him to me during his school days for help with school work, and he used come and sleep over at our place, often for a couple of weeks when his mother had to go away. So Fayyaz and Nadheem are childhood friends. This was way back before Nadheem became Qayyoom's son-in-law. Nadheem and Fayyaz got into a business partnership around 1993/1994. It was much later that he got married to Yumna. We have learnt to keep politics and personal relationships separate, so even though I was at odds with Qayyoom, I had no problem with my kind-of foster brother Nadheem for getting married to Qayyoom's daughter. I will still welcome Nadheem, his wife and child to my dinner table and come out and give Qayyoom a square bashing the next day.

    3. Mohamed Nasheed (Colonel) who is a council member of the Liberal Party has a business partnership with Fayyaz, the details of which I am not familiar with. I know it involves Kanifushi resort, but I am ignorant of the details of the arrangement. But I do not have any business relationship with Colonel. My association with him is mainly political, but over the past few years, he has become a good personal friend as well.

    I hope this sheds some light on your query.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It’s sad that Fayyaz and Colonel doing business with Ymunaa Maumoons husband. But I salute their bravery for keeping business and politics separate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. maumoon says zaki drinks. fine. since you are the head of state and you are aware of such criminal activity my question is why didnt you submit the case to the courts

    ibra would you ask the attorney general and home miister/police whether the office has recived such information and instructions from the president to follow the due process since he is aware of criminal activity by zaki.

    ReplyDelete
  11. In all honesty, i would have thought that you Ibra being a very down to earth person and also being someone who speaks his mind, would explain to your son that what the security forces did on that terrifying day was wrong but at the same might have had a favourable reason for what they did(public disobdience is not the solution).Your son's just a child, it sadens me to know that you let him witness such horrifying scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous:
    No one more so than I, would have liked to prevent my son from witnessing those scenes. But there is little I can do when such scenes are being played out right on my doorstep for 3 consecutive days. (I don't know whether you have a six year old boy, Anonymous. But I can tell you, they are very inquisitive and quick on their feet!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. ibra ur great...keet it up u can win

    ReplyDelete