Food For Thought

Facing reality.......

A coup d’état is usually brought about by people who are convinced that they cannot acquire power through democratic means and / or those whose vital interests are mightily threatened without power .

Monday, October 27, 2008

The Dream

Years ago, when I was a University student, I had the opportunity to witness democracy in action. I was impressed with what I saw and experienced. Until I arrived in Australia, I had READ about democracy and the rule of law. Even at a theoretical level, I had been taken with the notion of people writing laws for themselves, and then following it, and not be subject to the whim and fancy of a “ruler”. In Australia, I saw it happening. I saw the wishes of the people being impacted at the highest level of government. I saw the Prime Minister being challenged in Parliament and ultimately being ousted. There weren’t any demonstrations or protests or confrontations with the riot police. The people’s will was exercised through democratic institutions. I saw a powerful Senator from the ruling Party being put on the spot because he used a few stamps from his public office to post some letters in his campaign. I saw the Prime Minister being hammered in Parliament everyday by the Opposition leader, but when the Gulf War came, both of them together passed a unanimous resolution in Parliament for Australia’s involvement in the Gulf War. A beautiful case of national interest transcending political lines and divisions. The next day, they were both yelling at each other, and calling each other names in Parliament.

I saw a vote of no confidence passed on a Premier in New South Wales by his own Party based on a report by an Anti-Corruption Commissioner which the Premier himself appointed, but couldn’t dismiss. I saw senior Police Officers charged for violent behaviour against prisoners. Any custodial death was viewed as a national concern and public inquiries were initiated for such occurrences.

I wanted the same process in my country. Is it too much to ask for? Why can’t I dream for it? I started dreaming. I started planning. I started building my resolve. Because I knew it wouldn’t be easy to make it happen in my country. For many reasons. This was way back in 1988.

When I came back to the Maldives, I embarked on my crusade. There were mighty few who believed in what I was preaching then. Only like minded souls such as Anni, GoGo Latheef, Kalhuhuraage Latheef, my late Uncle, Mandhu Mohamed Waheed, my own father, Ismail Naseer, Thaa Member Afeef, Vashafaru Adam AbdulRahman, Ali Hashim (Lintel), Mahamood Raazee and a handful of others talked the same language. For the 20 years I spent in the Civil Service, I was branded as a radical and rebel, someone to be looked at with suspicion because given half a chance, this fellow might upset the apple cart.

We made various attempts at forwarding the Cause. Sangu (weekly), electing Abdulla Kamaluddeen and Mujuthaba to Majlis in 1994, electing Anni to Majlis in 1999. Every effort was successfully thwarted by the regime. If I ever did anything which I regret in my life, it was working in Abdulla Kamaluddin’s campaign in 1994. The only way I can describe what he did is to say that he cuckolded Male’ people.

After Anni was kicked out of Parliament, I realized that we needed more like minded people in Parliament, greater public engagement and international involvement to realize my Dream for my country. So I started preparing myself for that day by working 18 hours a day to save some money so that when the time came and I totally immersed myself in the process, my family could still survive. Just as well I did that. Otherwise I could not have continued the way I have. All my savings are spent now, I am broke, but, Oh! I am just that close to achieving my goal! At least we now have a very good chance of getting there.

While I was working my butt off in preparation for the day, I was also hoping that more and more “educated” people would come and join the fight. But here I was mistaken. Most (NOT all) of the “educated” people of this country have been either aiding and abetting the regime, or watching on the sidelines to see which way the cat would jump, or passing smart ass comments at our efforts at the coffee tables. It has been the “rowdy”, uneducated, lower class “masses” who have sacrificed their time and what little they had left to achieve this Dream. I hail them, every one of them, as the true heroes and heroines who made it happen.

Earning a degree does not necessarily make one an educated person. An educated person, with or without a degree, can distinguish right from wrong. S/he is able to make informed decisions. S/he is able to look beyond hir (his or her) own self and assess the needs of the wider community and make the right judgment to do what is necessary. S/he is able to take a stand, and stick to it, based on what s/he sees as right.

The biggest disappointments are people like Minister Nasheed, who knows all the right words and phrases to utter, but lacks the inner strength to stand up for what he knows is right. Good people like Zahiya Zareer, who, for some unfathomable reason, has succumbed to the status quo, and is actively promoting a regime which will throw this country to the dogs. People like Aishath Mohamed Didi who has thrown away the rights of children and women she has taken oath to protect, to help drag on the injustices against them, by propping up a regime which has systematically ignored crimes against women and children…I wonder to what end? Spineless opportunists like Jihad, who, as MMA Governor, lamented to Majlis members about the state of the economy and bad government policy and actions, and then takes up the post as Minister for Finance and lies to the people on state media to propagate the farce. I name these people because I have worked with them, listened to their views and frustrations, discussed the state of affairs with them. Either they were lying to me then, or they were lying to the public now. When the sons and daughters of a nation, who enjoyed the best opportunities she could afford, at the expense of her other children, turn around and kick her in the back, where will the nation run for cover and protection? If that is not treason, what then is treason?

It is with these thoughts, and a tinge of sadness that I write this Post as we go into the final 16 hours of a process which will tell us whether my Dream will be realized. Or will it be crushed to be served as dessert for a bunch of opportunists who have raped, and will continue to rape this country?

Many Maldivians who want to put Qayyoom back in power justify their decision on the grounds that Anni is not “presidential material” or they are voting to prevent Christianity from taking root in this country. Others claim that “lawlessness” will descend if Anni is elected. These are simply justifications that they present, not really to others, but more to themselves, because deep within themselves they know that Anni will be a better President than Qayyoom any day, that Christianity has taken root in the Maldives under Qayyoom’s watch and this country has not seen a higher degree of lawlessness and a complete disregard for law as has been seen in the last 25 years. Never in the history of this country has the Justice system been so corrupt and impotent as in the last 20 years. Never has the public wealth been raped and abused as in the last 20 years. Maldivian citizens have not been killed and tortured in a systematic fashion in any other era. Territorial integrity of the country has been compromised under Qayyoom’s rule. Sovereignity has been effectively compromised. The country has become a haven for drug abusers and drug traffickers. Prostitution is at an all time high. The country is broke and on the verge of economic collapse. The hard earned savings by civil servants and ordinary people have been put at great risk. And yet these people delude themselves and say “…but I don’t like Anni”.

Wakeup, Maldives. This vote is not about what you like or do not like. You are not in a restaurant, presented with a menu to select what you “like”. We are fighting for the survival of this nation, your nation, your children’s nation. This vote is not about Anni and his looks or capabilities or habits. This is our last chance to turn the country around towards sanity.

It would be fair to say that for the last four years, I have thought reform, I have breathed reform, I have lived reform. All this to realize that Dream I had, I have. I feel a sense of tiredness now. Almost a feeling that my work has been done. I have given it my best shot. I have done what I can. It is now up to my people to realize this Dream for the country.

I have my differences with Anni. But I have even more differences, much more fundamental differences, with Qayyoom. Anni as President will give us the opportunity to establish a democratic system of governance. Qayyoom as President will close all doors for a half decent system of government.
My choice is clear. There really is no choice. On the 28th of October 2008, Maldivians will be presented with Hobson’s choice for electing a President. Should I vote for Anni? Or should I vote for Anni?

After much deliberation, I have decided firmly to vote for Anni.

Oh! Allah! May Thee not turn away from us. May not our efforts and aspirations be in vain. Please deliver us from injustice and cruelty. Please be with us in our hour of need. Protect us, please, Our Lord. Thou art Great and Wise. Praise be to Thee.

36 comments:

  1. In the spirit of the constitution, and cos I'm down right disgusted by DRP's attitude towards Dhivehin (they think we're sheep - just look at Minister Nasheed's recent ramblings) I have thought about my two choices... and out of Anni and Anni...

    I will vote Anni

    ReplyDelete
  2. "When I came back to the Maldives, I embarked on my crusade"

    Is Crusade and "Jihad" the same thing? What difference would it have made if you have used the word "Jihad" instead of "Crusade"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. lexicon :

    The word "crusade" was used figuratively. I am writing in English, and in English there is no word such as "Jihad".

    It may or may not make a difference. I don't subscribe to the notion that just because I am a Muslim, I have to speak, read and write Arabic and behave like an Arab and reject anything that is not Arabic. I was educated in the English language, and that is what I know. People of all faiths and aetheists use the word "crusade" in modern English to refer to any difficult undertaking which requires dedication, sacrifice and perseverance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. its seems HONORABLE MINISTER nasheeds blog is gone with him into the arms of a dictator. what happend?

    TRAITORS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ibra, when all is said and done, if and when we are able to rid ourselves of Gayyoom and his clan, please do not forget the people who would have given you politicians that power.

    Please do not let another elitist cartel take over where Gayyoom left it. Please do not let this nation become a Thailand or Japan or even Malaysia, where one ruling party manages to perpetuate their hold on power for decades by recycling the president.

    If and when the Kenereege clan forms a coalition government, do not forget to labour on our behalf- the people. Do not forget to challenge them on the many flawed and dangerous policies of the MDP.
    Do not let Zaki become the next Yameen. Do not let masodi-Naseem become the next Adam Zahir. Do not let Sikka or Gogo become the next Abdullah Hameed and Ilyas...

    When all is said and done, do not forget why you left MDP

    Fight for us in parliament and in public office. I do not wish to see a coalition government in which you are not a part of.

    Remain steadfastly, as you always have, as a watchdog on the excesses/deviations of the government of the day...

    My sincere plea to you

    Thanx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don want my life and mst part of my childrens life under autocratic rule. But if gayyoom wins this wud b the case and his family will rule us for ages to come.

    If we elect him this time we shudnt complain if he continues the same level of corruption, nepotism and dictatorship in his gadha 5 years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know it was used metaphorically. I didn't mean to imply, that there should be a bearing between the choice of words one may use and his/her faith.

    Moreover I didn't mean to suggest Muslims should strictly use Arabic words or reject anything that is non-Arabic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would you serve the Maldivian people as a cabinet minister if Anni wins...?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I respect and appreciate your fight and efforts for reforms. In a worst case scenario, after today's results, I still hope you continue what you do best...fight!

    ReplyDelete
  10. drfreex :

    Good to hear from you again. Thanks for the sentiment. I was actually leaning towards leaving politics, because I am not really a politician. I speak my mind too frankly to be one, and I do not know how to decieve people. Not my forte, really.

    However, I am contemplating on seeking election to Parliament if Anni wins tomorrow because then the Maldivian people would have said they want democracy, and in a democracy, there must be checks and balances. I believe I can contribute to keep Anni and his government accountable.

    If the Maldivian people vote to keep Qayyoom in power, I think it is time for me to really exit politics because the people would have said a big No to democracy. How can you serve a people who do not want to be served?

    Jamsheed :

    If I chose to be on the cabinet, I will have to leave the Majlis. I would rather hold a job given to me by the people than by the President. Also, if I join the government, I can't hold it accountable.

    If circumstances dictate that in a given situation I can serve the people best by being in the cabinet, and if Anni offers a post in which I can be effective, I may give it some serious thought.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i think u have tried everything humanly possible through this blog and by other means at various stages of this reform process to warn the electorate what is at stake at this election..you have reasoned us, scared us, tampered us, counselled us and reasoned us. If we fail to fathom what this is all about - God bless us all - we are to blame ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a student now and I have the same dream. Next year I'll go back to Maldives and work my best to get rid of corruption, to get rid of violence and raise my voice towards institutional reforms.

    You had been an exemplary MP and hope you continue to do so. A few of us did a marvelous job. Opposition politicians and "the masses" who backed them deserves credit.

    If Anni wins the office today, it'll be one hell of a day for 'the crusade'.

    If Maumoon wins it, it's disappointing but not a total failure. If not for the work of Anni, Ibra, MDP founders and masses which backed the cause, we'll not see today. We have reasonably fair election today. We are building a system that not even Maumoon cannot abuse anymore. That is a success.

    I dream today......will work for it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nasty bunch aren't they- politicians
    Which is why we cannot afford to let them run loose on the vacuum that would be created if and when Gayyoom and his clan is uprooted...

    That you had refused to form an alliance with JP or the MDP at the outset based on Principles, was the litmus test that we had needed to conclude that you were that rare breed of politician who did not have a forked tongue..

    I believe therefore that you sir are an indispensable asset this nation cannot afford to lose. But perhaps you are right, I do not believe this population is competent enough to elect a competent government into office...Why & how else would Gayyoom secure 40% of the votes?

    Please consider an Education Ministry portfolio if not a Member of Parliament. If a coalition government fails to recognize the Necessary Input that you have to offer, that this nation badly Needs, then I say they are fools. And we would be fools to have elected them to office...

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  14. ibra. u there. avaha maizaathaka nikume dhuaa kuran fashaa.

    its same as portugeesun dhivehinge kara raaalhaa ulhunu dhuvahaa. and we need prayers really bad.

    pls pass the message

    u know like in prophets times there are people after even seen facts and figures who reject them and support maumoon. even those people rejected his (PBUH) message when reasoned saying kaabaifainge dheen mathy thibeyniye and idol worship is what they know.

    ReplyDelete
  15. heard it is finished. dont look back. look into the future. set aside the past. and show all of us how a former president should be treated. we have lot to do. get on with the business of putting our lives right

    ReplyDelete
  16. CONGRATULATIONS! You all have won! God has answered our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. thank you for everything. maldivians will forever appreciate your work (all of you).and bout leaving politics, i think we need people like you; independent people who speak out for the people and be straight forward. anyway, even if you leave politics, you have inspired us.me atleast.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Appreciate the change you made possible through a lot of sacrifice and dedication. For this, my respect is with you. Hopefully the election result would further motivate you. Goodluck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Than you Ibra. You are instrumental to this change. I remember you used to say that Maumoon can be brought down by bringing the pillar which hold the regime down. Certaily we achieve exactly it by doing what you was saying. You have inspired all the youths. You are a role model in politics.

    I still cant believe it. Tears is just falling from my eyes. I cant help it. We are so happy. You guys have brought tears and smile to our face.

    Now we face a bigger challenge. Now we can start the real reform. Hope you wont leave us. But if you do I respect any of your decision. Certainly you have done a lot. I cant ask more from you. Sorry if I have ask more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thankyou for the wathan ehey gothah team, you all have lighten up our future. God has answered our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations!

    WE have done it

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mohamed Hammad Hassan

    Thank You Ibra! Congratulations on the alliance win. I hope u don't disappear from the political scene, and would love to see you serve us, in the cabinet or in the Majlis and please do keep your eye on our new leaders!
    Thankyou very much for inspiring the youth of this country, and always working with us! I appreciate everything you have done for this country, and really look forward to see in the political arena.
    Please dont be disheartened by your loss in the first round. We have always loved you as a politician and will always love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. the dream has come true!! alhamdulillah... thank u ibra..for all you have done.. we wil forever be indebted to u.. ..its time to rejoice :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. former information minister nasheed has just disappeard to thin air.

    c'mon. dont you have some guts.

    look at your boss, considering his age and other things, he was brave and at the last moment even graceful in his dealings.

    your are young. so dont chicken out. be brave and justify your actions and stand by your words if you beliven in it and are not a hypocirte. otherwise admit defeat and you are wrong.

    ibra pls pass the message.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes, Ibra.

    Now the public has spoken, we would like to see a bigger role for you now!

    ReplyDelete
  26. and we did it... Alhamdulillah!

    but the struggle only begins...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Alhamdhlillah!Conragratulations Ibra and the alliance.We are very greatful for your work in bringing democracy to this country.
    Alhamdhulillah!
    Aisha

    ReplyDelete
  28. if ibra has any left in him he will give way and work towards making young politicians. What we need is not old fragile people like you who cry when the going gets tough but young minds and souls who can carry this nation on their shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Referring to your comment on October 27, 2008 9:17:00 PM MVT

    Makes me wonder why newscasters on BBC don't use the word crusade when they describe struggles by Muslims? Guess BBC isn't English enough.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm proud of Maldivians and proud to be a Maldivian! We have made history and I want to thank you for all your hard work and sacrifices to make this possible.

    I also know that this is just the beginning. There are numerous challenges waiting for the alliance, in rebuilding this nation.

    I also want to mention a concern that I have and that is where Adaalat party fits into all this and how much power they will have. I know that Adaalat brought in a lot of votes for the alliance, and they would probably get a part in the newly formed government, but i will be frank with you, as a woman they concern me. They might not affect men as much but their list of What Not To Do for women is a mile long, and this scares me. I just hope that Maldives will remain liberal in its policies towards women's rights, especially towards women's ability to make their own choices with regard to how they live their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous (on jihad) :

    BBC English is certainly good enough. Further proof that crusade and jihad are not synonymous in modern english usage. They also have to borrow from Arabic to talk about this madness which calls for killing of innocents in the name of religion. Isn't it unusual that only Muslims of Arabic origin are engaged in Jihad these days? BBC doesn't actually talk about Jihad as much as "Jihadists", you may have noticed. Now, if you applied a little discourse analysis to this usage, you may see that a whole new concept is being developed and propagated with "Jihadists".

    ReplyDelete
  32. Dear Ibra

    I will be voting for you to be my MP, assuming you will content, if not god save us all.

    I trust Anni he would be bringing in the right changes that's for sure. But my total trust is with you. with the allied coalition pressuring Anni, with the likes of some people in the coalition... Things may not go as favorably for the common people.

    Ibra please let it be that your advise is not taken lightly. I hope a super team of capable honest people are picked for the cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ibra whats your financial difficulties. I thougt as a majlis appointed member you get close to 100000, taking into account the great medical insurgence plan you get.

    ReplyDelete
  34. what do you say about president anni? How do you think things will move after november 11th and do you think our new president can handle the challenges he is facing ahead economically and politically and can he still unite the coalition while fulfilling the expectation of the Maldivian citizens. I am asking you this because you normally forecast and make scenarios ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  35. anti-corruption :

    FYI, Majlis members remuneration is Rf62,500 as of the middle of this year. I am not aware of the premium for medical insurance.

    From My 2004 until the middle of this year, my salary was Rf 7,000. From April of 2007, I stopped drawing salary from Special Majlis because I believed that dragging on Constitution work was no reason to continue drawing salary from public funds.

    Before I entered the Majlis, I was earning an average of 150,000 - 200,000 per month through my professional work. (Most of my professional clients were international agencies).I left the civil service after serving a seven and a half year bond completely, working for an average take home salary of 2500 per month.

    Running a presidential campaign costs money. When you are fightng against big business, you don't have very many campaign contributors.

    I spent my savings because I did not believe that the lifestyle of my wife and two children should be compromised because I chose to serve the public for a pittance.

    ReplyDelete