Food For Thought

Facing reality.......

A coup d’état is usually brought about by people who are convinced that they cannot acquire power through democratic means and / or those whose vital interests are mightily threatened without power .

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Charity begins at home

Ever since Majlis remuneration was set at Rf 62,500, much has been said about it. The main reason for public dissatisfaction about the issue was, I believe, due to a deliberate attempt by the then Information Minister to try and discredit parliament in the public by immediately giving the decision huge media coverage. Television Maldives simply stated the amount, and asked members of the public their opinion on it. Of course there was dissatisfaction, because the public were not told that all Cabinet Ministers and about 100 other political appointees were being paid the same, some of them more. The public were not told why this decision was made.

Ever so often, whenever anyone wants to bash an MP or the Majlis, they talk about this. With time, the benefits also keeps growing exponentially in the public mind. I have largely remained silent about the issue. But I believe the time has come now for me to disclose details of Majlis remuneration and benefits and why I voted for it at the time.

Firstly Majlis remuneration and benefits. It is as follows:
Each Member of the Majlis is entitled to :
Rf 42,500/- as salary
Rf 20,000 as allowance
*Medical insurance for the MP, spouse and children
A Diplomatic passport
Use of VIP lounges at airports (both national and international, domestic and overseas)
Immunity from arrest on their way to and back from Parliament
Assistance (non-monetary) from government offices across the country, should they visit the offices or any island.

*Medical insurance has still not been issued.

These are (excepting salary and allowance) standard benefits to MPs in most democratic countries. Honour is accorded to them because they are charged with making decisions on behalf of the entire nation, and more importantly, the people honoured them by electing them to be their representatives.

The salary is equivalent to that of Cabinet Ministers. Cabinet Ministers at that time had many other perks of office, and unlimited medical expenses from the government accounts.

In return for these benefits and honour, MPs are expected to work without specified hours in the Majlis. The sittings (jalsa) of the Majlis is only one aspect of an MPs work. Most MPs work in 2 or three committees (sometimes more). On average, an MP often spends time at the Majlis from 9 in the morning through to 10 in the evening, with breaks in between, depending on timings of committees, working through most weekends as well. In addition, most conscientious MPs are available to their constituents either by phone, in their offices, or often at their homes in person, round the clock. I can safely say that MPs, generally speaking, would be the people with the least bit of privacy or own time.

Until the revision of MPs’ benefits in August this year, an MP’s salary was Rf7000, housing allowance of Rf 5000, a telephone allowance of Rf1500, an office allowance of Rf 3000, a staff allowance of Rf 1500 and committee allowance of Rf 300 per sitting, and a maximum of Rf 12000 per annum on transportation costs for travel to constituencies. Travel costs were paid directly by Majlis to service provider (or reimbursement on presentation of bills) and not to MPs.

Ever since I was elected to the Special Majlis in 2004, I have maintained a rented office and a paid secretary to attend to my constituents and to assist me in Parliamentary work (Office rent Rf 5000, phone and electricity about Rf 3000, staff salary Rf 4,000). As per government rules at the time, I was not entitled to housing allowance (because I am from Male’) or transportation allowances (because I was Male’ MP).

Work wise, in addition to Majlis jalsa and the 4 committees I was serving on, I also spend considerable time daily, to meet constituents, listen to their troubles, take follow up action with relevant government offices to solve their problems. Normally, I don’t get home before 10 or 11 pm. Often, I eat dinner with a constituent when I get home, because he or she would have been waiting in my house for me to return because of an urgent problem that just can’t wait until the next morning. And then I will usually spend another 2 or 3 hours going through bills for the next day, or preparing for committee work for the next day. If I am lucky, I will get to bed by about 1 am, and if I am extremely lucky I will not be woken up by someone calling me on my phone at 2 or 3 am. If I really put an effort and pull myself out of bed by 6 am, I might get a glimpse of my kids before they go off to school. The weekend Friday I have the luxury of sleeping-in until Prayer time, and after lunch I have the relaxing work of going through research and preparing the next question for some Minister or drafting a new bill or a motion or a resolution which will hopefully ease the suffering of some citizens, if passed by the Majlis.

And the long recesses! Another myth. Even though Majlis jalsa breaks in May, September, January and February, committees still go on. Most MPs travel to their constituencies. Others engage in research and bill preparation etc.

In fact, the past four years was almost without a break. With Majlis members having to work in both Majlis and Special Majlis, the demand on time was immense. As Chair of the Drafting Committee, I often worked late into the night with my team of draftsmen and the consultant, getting ready for the next day’s committee meeting.

The privileged and luxurious life of any conscientious MP is such.

But why did I vote for increase in pay for MP’s? There is a story behind this. Up until then, MPs were lowly paid people who couldn’t make ends meet. Every so often they would have to either go to the Government or some rich businessman for assistance in basic survival. MPs depended on their government jobs to simply make ends meet. They were forever fearful of either losing their jobs, or displeasing the friendly businessman or the government in case they may reject his appeal for assistance for that lifesaving surgery for his son. The result was seen in Parliament voting patterns. The difference was seen after the change in remuneration.

A more compelling reason for me was to try and make the next Majlis more independent. We had to devise a way of attracting educated, young professionals to the Majlis. People who would understand the democratic process. We had to devise a way for them to be in Majlis with confidence and not kow-tow to The Powers. Of course, nothing is fool proof in this game. But at least, people can look forward to a dignified life as an MP now. Again the result is being seen with the number of people, particularly independent candidates, who are coming forward to contest elections this time.

Therefore, it saddens me when people harp on about Majlis remuneration everytime they want to have a go at an MP. They compare MP remuneration to civil servants. But this is not comparable. Civil servants are tenured, MPs are not. Their responsibility is limited to a specific task or tasks. MPs responsibilities are different, and varied. Civil servants have no fear of political reprisal. MPs live through it everyday. Civil servants are protected by the Civil Service Act and the Labour Law. MPs are not. Civil Servants can go home at knock-off time and work by the clock. MPs can’t. Civil servants report to one boss. MPs are accountable to the entire public. MPs don’t have an enviable life, I can tell you. If critics really want to better the country, it might do well for them to focus on performances of MPs rather talk about their remuneration.

I decided to write this post because there still are people who are either misguided or very venomous and vengeful, and the venom spreads. When attacks are made, it is also often at those of us who at least keep communication channels open. Those MPs who are actually betraying the people don’t get to hear those comments, neither could they be bothered. Why? Because they know, come election time, they will still get away with it, because they have the money, or some big party will back them, and they will get re-elected. The result? It is only the sincere people who will get fed up with the vengeful public and leave them to their woes and pursue things which give them more happiness and less ridicule. I believe, in the end, it is only the public who will lose, and not those people.

I did not write this to talk about my busy life. I thought that just as people know about our remuneration, they should also be shown the other side of the coin.

So, readers of my blog. Should I run for Parliament again, or not? Please tick the “Mainly Agree” box for Yes, or “Mainly Disagree” box for No.

All I know is that there is nothing more that my wife and children would want than for me to quit politics and start taking care of them again. After all, charity begins at home.

Happy New Year to all.

15 comments:

  1. Ibra, point very well taken. As someone who know the amount of time, energy and sincere effort that goes into your Majlis work, I can understand that it would be utterly disheartening for you to be facing this constant barrage of criticism. The bashing, of course, cannot be justified in your case, but sadly a ‘few bad apples’ are all that it takes to tarnish the reputation of the conscientious MPs in the majlis as well. Our people have seen the opulence their MP lives in after having allegedly sold his votes on big-ticket items a couple of times. They have also seen their MP get on the stage of opposition rallies, shouting out the most vituperative ‘auguraana’ at Gayoom and his government only to be appointed to a high political post a few months later.

    It would indeed be a sad day for the people if the sincere people, as you say, “fed up with the vengeful public”, decides to leave politics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be sad if you did not run for parliament. If you feel it is your duty to try make a difference, you can only be complete following that. Their may be selfish MP's, but I doubt you who suffered so much being arrested and all could have suffered for such shallow ambition, so I trust that most politicians that stick to their guns even whilst arrested are for the ppl. Still, with your depth of knowledge you may make just as much difference in the role of a writer or commentator, you need to make whatever decision is best for Maldives, you will know. Few have the depth of knowledge you have, I don't understand why you did not get more votes. Probably because your party was not as long established as MDP, I mean, MDP got in and got the vast portion of the monopoly on the reform movement. Breakaways from MDP sort of got in too late, anyhow I hope you get up high in the cabinet someday. Abdul-Rahman

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Naimbé :
    I do agree that there are some "bad apples" in the Majlis. But those bad apples were put in the Majlis by the people, too!

    The point I am trying to make is, it doesn't help painting all MPs with the same brush stroke.

    These days there are many critics, which is good. But the criticism is often of a personal and vengeful nature. Wouldn't it be more productive if criticism was focussed on issues?

    The bottom line is this. If the public "sell" their votes during election time, or vote on familial, kinship and personal loyalty lines, the MPs they elect will "sell" their votes, and vote on personal affiliation lines, too. I don't see many "critics" trying to raise awareness among voters on this issue.

    If these "critics" spent their time and energy doing some constructive work on these lines, instead of MP bashing on the internet and coffee houses, things may improve in the next Majlis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i dotn agree with you on recess.

    playing with constitution is dangrous. our fear is we may be left with only a supreme court and a president, both we dont like (both are political bed fellows) without the representative/majlis from us.

    so i'll urge you to follow it strictly. next time or even this time we may be not lucky.

    i will not vote to any beyfulhu who is sold to qasim. period.

    beyfulhism mixed with qasims’ greed is dangourous for country and us.

    ibra- i can forgive (may be the only person i can forgive). because i like your ideas of anti-trust bill and not being a puppet of big boys.
    hope in 2009 you will send those bills to majlis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Ibra

    We have read this post and we want you to run again for the parliament.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ibra, although in some issues recently I have to disagree with your opinion, ie. parliament recess, i still mainly believe your one of, if not "the", MP who really knows what being an MP really means and follows through that in their actions.

    So I would support you to run for the parliament. Wish you luck. Btw any comments regarding the appointment of your brother to the Deputy Minister post?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Anonymous (Jan 1, 11:52 am) :
    I am sure you will understand that it is impossible for any Parliamentarian to ensure that every vote he casts will be agreeable to all members of the public.

    Sometimes when you are in leadership, and making decisions, you have to make decisions against popular sentiment. The courage to do the right thing in the face of unpopularity is required from leaders. This is because people engaged in populist sentiments can do just that without taking responsibility, but we can't. When all the hue and cry has died down, I will explain my decision on recess.

    On my brother's appointment, I opposed it in Liberal Party Council. But the Minister wanted him, and I was the only dissenting voice.

    I opposed it because I did not want any closer ties to the government than necessary. Not because I had any doubt about his capability or integrity. On the other hand, I can't deny him his chance to contribute to the nation in his own right either, specially when I know that if I were President, none of my siblings would be appointed by me. So why should I deny when someone else wants to use them in government?

    I have every confidence he will do a good job, with integrity.But rest easy, if there is any occasion for him to be grilled and poked, I will be the first to do it. Even my brother, when in the public sphere, will be in my sights.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I spoke to someone who was friendly with you in school, in Male', primary school or highschool,and they said you were a very good person, even then, meaning youre charity is not just a show put on recently to become politically popular, that is the real you. So go with that, keep spreading charity as a parliamentarian by combatting greed and promoting justice, as unappreciative as ppl are the majority needs you. Abdul-Rahman

    ReplyDelete
  9. Three points i would like to raise...one there is no doubt there isn't any MP as committed to the work as Ibra...i would vote for u in a heart beat...and u are one MP that deserves re election...my second point is that for some MPs...our parliamentary culture has been such that they also serve as a source of welfare...ie; foi gandhey...beys kodheyn..which some MPs do exploit still...and some voters still expect it...so there goes the money...ofcourse there are so many who just dont deserved to be re-elected ...How many time have we seen Samrey or Thasmeen even open their mouth or volunteer for a commitee...so lets not elect them...let us change our attitiute to vote on merit rather than money or as ibra said ,on kinship or status...lets make an effort to see the majlis yaumiyaa and attendance in this campaign ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year Ibra. I am looking forward to the day you write a blog post without dragging the former Information, Legal Reform & Arts Minister's name into the issue. He pops up in nearly all your posts AND responses to comments -- which gives me the feeling that you run this blog to counter what he does or say? Its the same with Maumoon. Don't you know anybody else to gripe about? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Anonymous (Jan 2, 7:16 pm)
    Aren't you being a bit over-sensitive and generalizing a bit too much? I have written 30 plus posts, and your idol may have been featured in all of 3 or four?

    Whenever I have mentioned Nasheed or anybody else, it has always been in conjunction with whatever topic I was writing, either quoting them on something they SAID or referring to something they DID. If Nasheed did not venture out into the public domain and express his views, then I would have no cause to comment on his word or actions. Have I ever commented on his personal affairs? He, more than many others in the Qayyoom regime, said all the right things and proceeded to do and support all the wrong things (from my perspective).

    Whenever I have said anything in a comment regarding him, it was in relation to a question posed for me. Take a look at the archives and tell me if I am wrong.

    As Information Minister, he was pivotal in using public media against those who were opposing Qayyoom, using it to discredit us with twisted information. What I have written in this post is a typical case of that. After he aired it, I repeatedly requested him to give me the opportunity to reply to the accusations on the same media. He refused, in not soo many words, but by ignoring my requests. This has to be talked about because his action is the root cause of so much public dissatisfaction against us, against me.

    With all that was happening, I avoided referring to him and his deeds because I did believe that he had some good and sincerity in him (Read my first post), and that hewas simply misguided. But he proved me wrong on that. He was the first to attack me, by calling me a hypocrite on his blog, when he knew exactly what was happening, and he was in the thick of it. You just wait until what he said and agreed to in the negotiations about the Transition Chapter becomes public (there are voice recordings of those sessions). Then you will know exactly why I had to change my mind about his sincerity.

    I still respect his acumen, but what he is doing right now in the courts tell its own tales.All the more reason to be vary. Who, with any love for this nation, will seek to remove the Majlis from the scene and allow the current Executive to take over the country right now?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ibra, you need a break! It will make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ibra,
    I am all for a decent salary to MPs. The current salary and allowances are somewhat in line with a CEO of some of the the private companies in Maldives. However along with the increase, this should have been made a full time job (I know it for you !). There should also have been a provision for deduction on the pro rate basis for unattended sittings.

    Of the examples you have given above, none would get their full salaaries if they do not attend their office.

    ReplyDelete
  14. democracy doesnt work you can do all the work and ppl will repay you with a thousand votes. Money and influence is all that counts in democracy. We will see it again on this parliment election. So ibra be with your family they need you .

    ReplyDelete
  15. I fully support your re election. You are an example to others i believe.

    Would you still contend for presidency in Future? if so would you have the courage to be the candidate who would offer us freedom from religion?
    I read your post on being a muslim and you share my sentiments (most of it). there are lot of Maldivians who wants to see a more liberal nation. Surely there are more ppl who do not want to see the truth and believe in the scholars blindly and enjoy forcing others to believe the same faith as they have (which ironically is the weakest of all)
    I remember you advocate on liberalism and would love to vote for you if you would openly contend for this.

    ReplyDelete