Food For Thought

Facing reality.......

A coup d’état is usually brought about by people who are convinced that they cannot acquire power through democratic means and / or those whose vital interests are mightily threatened without power .

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Transparency

An essential feature in a functioning democracy is transparency of government decisions and actions. A lack of transparency undeniably opens gateways for public officials to engage in untoward behaviour such as acts of corruption, favouring, disregarding the law, and getting away with it.

One of the cries in the Reform Movement was the demand for transparency from the government. Public rallies were calling for it. A central theme in almost every debate in Parliament was the call for transparency. Slowly the government caved in to this demand, and today we see a degree of transparency in government actions which we have not seen before. Even TV Maldives and VOM is now broadcasting news and other programmes which have some aspect of transparency included. The pressure is too much, I guess.

This is not to say the situation regarding transparency is rosy. Far from it. There is much to be done in this area.

The call for transparency stemmed from a call for accountability. Until the Maafushi jail incident, everything within the government was shrouded in secrecy. Therefore, there was no avenue for the government to be held accountable for anything. Even the Majlis had limits on information it could demand from the government!

Amidst the call for transparency on the part of the government was also an element of exposing individuals. Public officials were put under scrutiny to a level that was never seen before. How they conducted public business, their competency, acts of corruption, improper behaviour, you name it, it was talked about, questioned and exposed.

In spite of the discomfort to these individuals (and sometimes, to their close ones, unfortunately), the “lifting of the veils” has done much good for the nation, I believe. Crooks, incompetents and liars have been exposed to the public for what they are.

I wish the opposition, both in and out of Parliament, would make more efficient and effective use of the avenues which have been opened up to expose the regime further for what they have been doing, and what they are. The people have a right to and deserve to know. The media should be concentrating more on this aspect.

We are facing an election. Many public figures are actively engaged in campaigning and other political activity. But there is a disturbing element in the Reform Process. It is often assumed that if you are in the ranks of the opposition, then your past life doesn’t matter. Even more frightening is the fact that if you are in the front line of attack against Qayyoom, then whatever you do can be justified, and basically you can do no wrong. It is almost as if the entire opposition movement is one huge washing machine! Many have taken advantage of this complacency. People who were doing their level best to uphold the regime are now true blue Reformists. Individuals who exercised their powers in the government and parliament to deny constitutional rights from citizens are now hailed as heroes. Those who moseyed up to Qayyoom to increase their ill-gotten gains, and then used those gains to uphold the regime are now projecting themselves as saviours and saints, and the only ones who can “save” the people from Qayyoom. Quite sickening, if you ask me.

I believe it is important that the public know exactly who these people are and what they have done to this nation. I am one of the people who have been constantly accused of making deals, for personal gain, with the government or lining up with government figures. But, I believe that time has shown that these claims were totally unfounded. How many others have actively sought deals with the government?

It is time to get rid of the “anti-government-umbrella-which-absolves-all-from-all”. I should be put under even further scrutiny by the public. So should Anni, Umar, Hassan, Qasim and all respective running mates, and all others who are in the public domain. If the public fails to do this and turns a blind eye to reality just to “bring Qayyoom down”, the nation may be landed with another Qayyoom, albeit in disguise.

Transparency should apply not only to government, but also to those aspiring to govern.

16 comments:

  1. This is something we all need to be very careful. The people of the Maldives ( i believe majority ) are sick of Maumoon and they desperately want Maumoon out of the office. It is pathetic that some power hungry guys are trying to take advantage of this situation. Most of the people have a feeling that Ends will justify the means and we must kick out maumoon at any cost.

    We cannot risk the future of our beloved nation in a bid to get Maumoon out of office. Maldivians NEED to make a good and informed decision. LOVE MALDIVES SAVE MALDIVES.

    -maldivian student in UK-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi ibra,
    First of all, let me express my support to you in your campaign. I have read all your articles here and have also had a look at your campaign website as well. However, I have noticed that in both sites all articles are in english. Wouldn't it be better to express your views and policies in the dhivehi language? I mean, if you are trying to reach out to only half the population, you won’t get much support. I think that you should be reaching out to the other half as well, and that in the dhivehi language. I just think it would make people understand your policies and views better, because as one islander friend of mine who came to Male' told me, she couldn't make head or tail of what you were trying to say (no offence here). According to her you only seemed obsessed with bringing down Maumoon. However, I explained your policy to her and she understood. But isn't it time that you yourself reached out to us Maldivians IN OUR OWN LANGUAGE? This is just a thought as I think it could be beneficial to you in your campaign. - Munax-

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very comforting article. I wish you would eleborate more on the other presidential candidates so that we would have a very clear ground on what our future leaders are preaching and what skeletons they are hiding in their closets. Its like the whole of opposition leaders have a sign board over their heads saying "HOLIER THAN THOU."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Munax:
    Good point. We are aware of it. All of our radio/tv interactions are in Dhivehi. However, yes, a good idea, and we are working very hard to launch the dhivehi version of the campaign website asap. Can anyone help us? There is an awful lot of work to do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, I would like to ask. The recent Developments have revealed MDP’s Hidden Secrets by Its Former President Mr. Munnavar. He had Sent a letter to the Current MDP chairperson, stating lot of things. One thing that he wrote is that in a presidency of MDP, “Our religion Islam May not be Maintained”

    It is Quite bold message, From such a senior member amid the speculation of Non Islamic People’s involvement in the MDP. Ibra, You were their in MDP’s 1st Line. And You were its 1st President.

    Islam is the Most Important Pillar of this country, why did you joined and become such a senior member in such an organization? Also, its of no doubt you would know MDP’s Infrastructure and how MDP operated more than any of us.

    Ibra, as I have said, I am not of any Party, I would like to ask, Is our current government that bad you had to join a band of people with anti-islamic intentions to break the government and end up giving influence for Anti-islamist in our country?

    Can you justify this to us?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ibra, when do you plan to announce your running mate? There is talk that you are holding back, because you want to step aside and back Gasim Ibrahim????

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ibra if you need help say it loudly, in your interviews, debates and comments on news paper... what ever. I am sure your supporters will back you. I understand that you are person who is campaigning without any backing of financial support of any of these rich guys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous (on MDP and Islam):

    When I joined MDP and while I was working with MDP, I was not aware of any anti-Islam sentiments. So I had no hesitation in working with MDP at that time.

    I really have very little regard towards Dr. Munawar's statements.I wouldn't advise anyone to make any decisions based on Munawwar's letter to MDP.

    Ultimately, I don't believe that MDP or any other party can change someone's faith. If they can, then that person has a very weak faith!

    I joined MDP because I saw it as a reformist, progressive movement at the time. When I saw it being used to fool people, and a lack of principle in nits operation and zero strategic planning, I left the party. Simple as that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous (on running mate):

    Running mate will be announced at the right time.

    Whether I pull back or not, I will not back Qasim for President in the first round, nor have I accepted the invitation to be his running mate.

    I am trying to establish a set of principles. I don't see the same principles in any of the senior figures in JP.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Ibraa,

    Why is the members in Social Liberal Party (SLP) is so less. Some reports even say that numbers is at 1,600. While people in your party says the number people in your party is more than 3,000. Even if you 3,000 members in your party is quite small compared to other parties active in Maldives Political situation. I am surprise to see even IDP members are more than SLP. It is a surprise when we consider the ideology of Umar or IDP.

    My question is why is the membership of SLP is registered so low. (Even if it is more than 3,000 it is quite less if you want to win the election).

    ReplyDelete
  11. For some candidates it's not whether you win or lose... it's what you achieve in the game while you're playing... are you willing to forgo winning to achieve what is important? Or do you believe that winning is the only way to achieve what is important?

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh and, in the interest of transparency, why not turn off 'Comment moderation'?

    If/When someone goes off on a profanity rant, or equivalent, delete that specific comment later, or as appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. published, except one comment, which was deleted inadvertently by me, while trying to click the "publish" button.

    I don't quite understand the innuendo about winning or losing. If you looked at everything objectively and get rid of the bias against me, you may actually see that I have given up many opportunities for me to "win" and taken stands on principle. I resigned from the position of MDP President of my own volition, I have rejected many offers from many parties, ranging from offers to become candidate or VP. I have not sold my soul to a few dollars, I have not sought out the "likelihood of winning" as the criteria to define my political affiliations. In the end, the public will decide, and their decision will define their fate.

    If you have something of substance to say, I will engage with you, but I do not intend to respond to every innuendo and baseless accusation aimed at me. I will publish it, nevertheless, but don't expect a reply.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do you believe that you can ONLY change the nation for the better by being President?

    COULD you, perhaps, be of more benefit to the people if, as you're doing now, you were able to engage the public, and issues, on a more grass root level? I mean, under this new [Insert Colour Code here] constitution, you could, theoretically at least, do so more effectively/efficiently than before.

    And then, once you've properly set the stage, in alignment with your vision for the Maldives, you can seek to assume office... Just a thought... as we're doing just that here... discussing and airing out our views...

    Oh and please, look up innuendo - I don't think it means what you think it means... and if it does mean what you think it means I do apologise. That was NOT my intention at all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't belong to any party. Though I've listened to many political talks. I think you are the only candidate with a good intention, and I support you. Your views on many issues are easy-to-believe than what other candidates are saying. One suggestion though, why not publish a dhivehi version of your website, that way you can reach more people i guess.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ibrahim:

    Never mind the innuendo bit. It's OK.

    I have temporarily parked my chosen career in academia because I believed that my country needed me in another area. I heeded the call at a time when most people were waiting for someone to take the lead. Part of what I set out to do was completed with the ratification of the "new"/"revised" constitution.

    The next phase is implementation and setting up of the system. Frankly, I don't trust anyone else to establish a system to ensure the proper implementation of the constitution. The next President will have a key role to play in this regard, and the wrong President could quite easily undo much of what ha been achieved.

    That is why I have decided to contest. I can at least trust myself, and make a decent attempt at it. Once it is done, I have no further interest in politics. I yearn to go back to my academic work, which I think I do better than politics or business. I still hope to involve myself in strengthening civil society. I am not a politician (I don't have the knack of deceiving people) nor am I a businessman (I tried once, and ended up making a loss for five consecutive years!)

    ReplyDelete